You should now have a rough idea about what your expenses are and how much you should budget for each item if you read this page about recording expenses
Now let me give a few strategies and tips that you can use to control your electricity cost. Start right at the time that you purchase your electrical appliances. Look for “Energystar” certified products. Also look at what rating that they have been given in online reviews for energy efficiency.
- Install or convert existing lights to LED lights as this will ensure maximum savings in terms of lighting. Design or workspace and living space in such a way that you maximise the use of natural lighting before deciding to install or switch on more lights.
- Use photocell switches and sensor switches that switch on automatically when there is inadequate light and when human presence is detected.
- There are also timer switches that can be used to activate
products that are used only in particular times of the day. For example you may need your phone charger or laptop charger to work only for two hours in the morning to charge your phone. I also use a timer switch for my router to switch it off between 12 midnight and six in the morning since I am not online during this period.
There are also now standby power killing switches that save a lot by switching off when not used. I use this for my AV receiver and LED TV the system can be programmed to be activated and deactivated when it detects that I have switched off or switched on the LED TV.
- If you watch a lot of TV then its worth while investing in an LED TV that is more efficiency that LCD or CRT TVs.
- If your existing refrigerator is more than ten years old then its time to trade it in for a more energy efficient model. The newer inverter compressors ensure that you save the maximum amount especially at night and during winter.
- Switching over to an hybrid car can be a major decision and cost a lot upfront but the saving in terms of miles per gallon can be well worth the investment. Also the newer electric cars even though not as convenient as gasoline ones can save a lot of money in terms of cost per mile.
If you use a lot of ceiling fans then there are newer models that run on 40 watts instead of the 70/80 watt models – so these two can considerably bring down monthly bills. Ceiling fans are way more energy efficient than air conditioners.
- If you need to invest in a new air conditioner invest in a inverter type one that can sense human presence from infra red sensors.
It may be a good idea to also monitor Kilo Watt hours that your consuming and their are special monitors that can help you measure approximately how much you are consuming for each appliance that you use.
The above is a small checklist that you can use to reduce utility cost now let’s also take a look at how you can reduce your heating and air conditioning costs.